JBS USA and Pilgrim’s announce that more than 1,250 people have
GREELEY, Colo., July 21, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) – JBS USA and Pilgrim’s announced today that more than 1,250 team members and dependents have enrolled in community colleges across rural America in as part of the company’s free Better Futures tuition program. Aiming to become the largest free, two-year, privately-funded university initiative in rural America, the Better Futures program has received accolades from school administrators and education officials across the country.
“The JBS USA and Pilgrim’s Better Futures program is off to a remarkable start, with 1,286 team members and dependents enrolling in the program in just four months,” said Andre Nogueira, CEO of JBS USA. “The number of students attending university has been declining for more than a decade, especially among minority communities and in rural America. We believe that providing free access to community college can help strengthen rural economies and make a lasting and meaningful difference in people’s lives.
Since the launch of Better Futures in March 2021, companies have partnered with 36 colleges in 22 states to provide tuition-free education for team members and dependents, many of whom come from first-class American families. generation. Today, approximately 70% of the more than 1,250 registered with Better Futures are team members.
“When we launched Better Futures, we expected the vast majority of registrants to be the dependents of our team members,” said Corey Friend, Better Futures Program Manager. “We were pleasantly surprised that so many of our team decided to take this opportunity to develop and prepare for the workforce of tomorrow through education. Better Futures unleashes untapped potential in rural America and I couldn’t be more proud of the great strides we have made in such a short time.
To be eligible for Better Futures, JBS USA and members of the Pilgrim team only need to have worked with the company within the past six months and remain in good standing with the company until the end of their studies. Better Futures participants can take any course or study program they want.
“One of my personal goals has been to go to college, but as a single mother it hasn’t been possible for me until now,” said Martha Rivas, human resources coordinator at JBS in Grand Island, Neb. “Now I have the opportunity to make my dream come true, and it wouldn’t be possible without this support from JBS.
JBS USA and Pilgrim’s have partnered with the following schools to date:
- Athens and Elberton, Georgia – Technical College of Athens
- Beardstown, Illinois – Lincoln Land Community College
- Booneville, Mississippi – Northeast MS Community College
- Brooks, Alberta, Canada – College of Medicine Hat
- Cactus, Texas – Amarillo College
- Canton & Ellijay, Georgia – Chattahoochee Technical College
- Carrollton, GA – West Georgia Technical College
- Chattanooga, Tennessee – Chattanooga State Community College
- Cold Spring, Minnesota – St. Cloud Technical and Community College
- Dalhart, Texas – Frank Phillips College
- From Queen, Ark. – University of Arkansas Cossatot Community College
- Douglas, Georgia – South Georgia State College
- Gainesville, GA – Lanier Technical College
- Grand Island, Neb. – Central community college
- Greeley, Colorado – Aims Community College
- Green Bay, Wisconsin – Technical College of Northeastern Wisconsin
- Hyrum, Utah – Bridgerland Technical College
- Live Oak, Florida – North Florida College
- Louisville, Ky. – Jefferson Community and Technical College
- Lufkin & Nacogdoches, Texas – Angelina College
- Marshalltown, Iowa – Marshalltown Community College
- Marshville, NC – South Piedmont Community College
- Mayfield, Ky. – West Kentucky Community and Technical College
- Moberly & Centralia, Missouri – Moberly Area Community College
- Moorefield, West Virginia – East West Virginia Community and Technical College
- Mount. Pleasant, Texas – Northeast Texas Community College and Texarkana College
- Omaha, Neb. – Metropolitan Community College
- Ottumwa & Fremont, Iowa – Indian Hills Community College
- Plainwell, Michigan – Kalamazoo Valley Community College
- Riverside, CA – Riverside Community College District
- Sanford, NC – Central Carolina Community College
- Souderton, PA – Montgomery County Community College
- Sumter, SC – Central Carolina Technical College
- Tolleson, Arizona – Maricopa Community Colleges
- Worthington & Pipestone, Minnesota – Minnesota West Community and Technical College
- Online – Rio Salado College
The Better Futures program is part of the Hometown Strong business initiative announced last year. The Brighter Futures funding comes on top of the $ 70 million investment in Hometown Strong and will allow companies to continue to advance engagement with their team members and their hometowns across the country.
About JBS USA
JBS USA is a leading global food company providing diverse, high-quality food products to customers in approximately 100 countries on six continents. This includes meat and poultry products, a portfolio of recognized brands and innovative premium foods. For more information, please visit www.jbsfoodsgroup.com.
As a global food company with more than 56,000 team members, Pilgrim’s processes, prepares, packages and delivers fresh, frozen and value-added food products to customers in more than 100 countries. For more information, please visit www.pilgrims.com.